Click here !
since Neolithic times, the valley of
Clerval keeps numerous remains of its
the Celts, the Romans cross-ruled the
lands with roads and ways, built a bridge
over the river Doubs, a
the right side of the river Doubs, and
took up the mountain range of Monfort.
Burgundians settled in their turn,
brought their customs, as certified by
the remains of their burial-places.
And Montfort became an impregnable
fortress on the creast of the
The hill of
Montfort above Clerval
of Clerval today.
fortified town of the counts of Burgundy,
was built in the nest of the valley at
the beginning of the second millenary on
lands belonging to the priory of Chaux.
Clerval was then the center of a
seigneury owning twenty villages.
In 1365 Clerval passed in the property of
the counts of Montbéliard, vassals of
the Burgundian County.
Its bridge over the river Doubs makes of
Clerval the compulsory point of passage
between Besançon and Montbéliard,
favourishing trade ant handicrafts. The
population doubled between 1450 and 1600,
and two mills were turning in Clerval,
one on the river at the foot of the
castle, the other one one the streamlet
Monnot, on the right side of the river
town suffered the destructive assaults of
the Swiss in 1474, then those of the French
during War of Ten Years. At the beginning
of the eighteenth century Clerval passed
beyond its fortifications, which were
gradually razed an re-used for the new
right side of the Doubs was reached at
its turn by the town, with the settlement
of blast-furnaces, the foundry, then the
railway in the nineteenth century.
the second part of the twentieth century,
the industrial vocation of Clerval was
confirmed, but the narrowness of the
valley limited its demographic and